Shop for wines and gourmet products from Italy
The Santadi Winery came into being in1960, when a group of grape growers, coordinated by ETFAS, the Land Reform Board of Sardinia, joined forces to set up a cooperative winemaking and marketing business. The place was – and is – Santadi, south-western Sardinia, in the heart of the Sulcis district.
Up to the 1980s, the Winery confined its activity to producing and selling bulk wine, only making a few half-hearted attempts at bottling.
A leap of faith was needed, and it came in the mid 1970s, when a new Board of Directors took office, headed by Antonello Pilloni (who remains the Chairman to this date). The new team saw that a change of tack was needed, and lost no time in securing the assistance of the internationally famous oenologist Giacomo Tachis who soon grew to love this land took the future of the Winery to heart. Under his guidance, the quality of the Santadi wines skyrocketed, securing them a breakthrough in the main markets, which immediately recognised their outstanding quality and strong identity.
Since then, the only direction has been upwards, as the Santadi wines continue to spread and reap appreciation worldwide. A success story made possible by the whole team, which includes the grape growers, directors, marketing staff and all winery workers, forming a reservoir of expertise that is an asset for the whole territory.
Cantina Endrizzi has been producing Trentino wines since1885. It can pride itself of a long history, made of passion and of people who believed in their work and in the land. Over the course of time, besides the vineyards Pian di Castello, Masetto, and Kinderleit, all located in San Michele all’Adige, the Endrizzi family decided to also dedicate its enological knowledge to the production of Tuscan wines.
Over time, the cantina has opened its premises to the public, becoming an elegant location for events and a setting for sommeliers courses, for special moments like wine tastings, dinners, and weddings. The old halls of the Bottaia and, on the milder days, the pergola of vines surrounding the cantina’s suggestive old group of buildings are an ideal setting and backdrop for any of these occasions.
Etna itself flows in the lymph of the Cottanera vineyards. With its pioneer viticulture, Cottanera is one of the most extraordinary companies in Italian and international enology today. The vineyards grow over lava stone, 700 mts above the sea, on the northern slope of the volcano, rising and twisting with air of the volcano, becoming the mirror of a unique, precious territory, a fascinating, suggestive land.
The first to believe in the value of these black lands was Guglielmo Cambria who, together with his brother Enzo, decided at the beginning of the 1990s to convert what was a hazel grove into a great vineyard, starting with international grapes, then moving on to autochthonous grapes, to the traditional grapes grown on Mt. Etna, such as Nerello mascalese, Nerello cappuccio and Carricante. "In looking to the future we can't but consider all that we have received. Land, as I was taught by my father, is invaluable, as it is the beginning of all and is, what we will become".
GuglielmoThis is the company philosophy which Guglielmo would often repeat and which he wanted to pass on to his children. Cottanera is a little jewel, of 100 hectacres. Of these, 65 hectares have been vineyarded. The company is in Castiglione di Sicilia, near Catania, along with the winery, where all the phases of production are carried out, from harvesting to bottling.
More than a century has gone by since the first Felluga’s history (Marco’s Great-grandfather) interwined with that of wine.
Isola d’Istria, on the coast, was the production point of origin of Malvasia and Refosco. The Great War had just finished and it was a happy destiny that made the family set foot in Grado, on the other side of the Gulf, and then in Friuli. Only a handful of kilometres, but the scenery changed radically. It was here that Giovanni’s second to last son, Marco, as his grandfather before him, discovered, fell in love with and chose to live in that area called Collio which has always had the vine and wine at its heart.
Marco began his training at the prestigious Oenological School of Conegliano and it is he who directed the family business towards the path of innovation with an emphasis on quality and research which is now carried on by his son Roberto, representing the fifth generation, with renewed passion and devotion. He is now at the head of the two prestigious wineries located in the Collio Doc, Marco Felluga in Gradisca d’Isonzo and Russiz Superiore in Capriva del Friuli.
Describing the character of a land as generous as Western Sicily, of Erice, its wines and what they are able to express, is a superb challenge - even for those who have experienced its characteristic vineyards for generations. We chose to use a comparison with the wind, sometimes delicate as a breeze, sometimes impetuous and roaring, to pay homage to its faithful presence.
It is the winds blowing from the eight directions of the horizon that forged the spirit of this land. Like a delicate, yet intense breeze, Ottoventi and its wines would love to guide you through the sensory experience that only the taste and flavours of their grapes, grown and worked wisely, are able to create.
Today, The Vecchia Torre Wineryis one of the most important cooperatives in the Province of Lecce and stands an example of one of the successful companies in the Apulia.
The company has been growing since it began in 1959: today there are 1.240 members who produce about 12.000 tons of grapes annually from their 1.100 hectares of vineyards. The winery produces more than 2.500.000 bottles per year and exports about the 60% of its production.
The main objective, is the intense respect we have for our culture and traditions and the sincere relationship with our members, who are followed and advised in all phases of the grape development. Due to the huge quantity of grapes harvested, we have to immediately make a careful selection using some advanced wine techniques to establish the right vinification processes needed for the different grape quality.
Among different grapes varieties, the predominant varietals are the local Negroamaro, Primitivo and Malvasia of Lecce; other red grapes are Montepulciano and Syrah. The most important white varietals are Vermentino, Malvasia Bianca, Chardonnay and Trebbiano.
The company mission is simple: to offer a high quality wine at an affordable and honest price thereby establishing a relationship of trust with our customers.
In the past few years several national and international Magazines and Wine Challenges have recognized the great value-for-money of our wines. We are really proud of this recognition.
Kellerei Kaltern-Caldaro came into being in 1992, or rather in 1906 and 1908. Today’s operation was formed by the 1992 merger of two long-established local cellars, the Bauernkellerei (Farmer’s Cellar) and the Jubiläumskellerei (Jubilee Cellar).
More than a thousand growers are active with Kaltern, most farming less than one hectare, making cooperation the natural production strategy of choice.
From 1363, Alto Adige belonged to the Habsburgs and during the reign of Emperor Franz Josef, Kaltern was an official supplier of the court in Vienna.
In 1919, after the First World War, Alto Adige became part of Italy. The subsequent outbreak of the Second World War radically transformed the region and its network of commercial relationships. It was only in the Fifties that Kaltern wines reasserted themselves as high-profile products for export markets.
The wine market underwent profound changes during the Eighties. Wine was no longer seen as a mere source of calories for back-breaking labour in the fields. It became a social phenomenon. Kaltern was one of the first wine areas in Italy to cater for consumer tastes and shift to a policy of extreme quality. That was when yields gradually began to fall from 200 quintals per hectare to today’s 75.
Kellerei Kaltern-Caldaro’s 400 members manage a vineyard surface area totalling 300 hectares, making pure, limpid wines with great mineral backbone and essential appeal.
1952 . . .the beginning of a story of passion
Anna Spinato is a winery situated in the Veneto region, in the North-East of Italy and has its headquarters in Ponte di Piave, which is only 40 km away from the romantic city of Venice. It is in this area, with its soil particularly suitable for the cultivation of vines, that the company was born. It was back in 1952 when the enological potentialities of this land touched by the water of the river Piave took shape in the form of Spinato’s wines. A thrilling and grounded start thanks to the charismatic figure of Pietro, Anna’s father.
2002 . . .continues between tradition and innovation
In 2002, driven by the love for her land and following her father’s precious teaching, Anna became the leading figure of the company with her same name. Undertaking this journey in the world of wine and carrying on her family’s tradition, she has managed to give every single bottle all the best features of the land and she has worked hard in order to make her quality wines well known and appreciated even abroad.
And today . . .
Today, Anna is supported by her son Roberto, who is in charge of supervising the production line through the collaboration with professional figures such as technicians and winemakers and all the rest of the staff. Together, they have been pushing the company towards new future ideas but by always keeping an eye on tradition.
Within its production, the company makes itself proud of a range of local wines such as Raboso Piave and Prosecco, but also of wines coming from international grapes such as Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc and a wide range of reds like Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot. In addition, since 2012, thanks to the achievement of the certification of organic company, Anna Spinato has enriched its own range with organic references.
An attentive supervision of the wine production process, a special care for the taste developments and for the packaging are the features distinguishing the company within the worldwide markets.
“1921, almost one hundred years of love in the care of the vineyards.
Four generations comparing each other in order to get always the best from their fifty hectares in the very heart of the Grave appellation area, in Friuli region, a land away from the spotlight but rich in nature, fragrances, colors and endless sunsets.
Adriana and Lino, together with Caterina, Riccardo and Nicola, are nowadays the team that keeps alive tradition with knowledge and perseverance. They are open to new challenges and proud to make you rejoice with the results of their passions, the land and the grape.
The alberello vineyards In the countryside of Salento, beyond the dry stone walls you get lost in a beautiful expanse of vineyards: the real soul of Schola Sarmenti. An important choice made by Schola Sarmenti was to preserve the old Apulian training system called Alberello, used since ancient times. When sun warms air, expert farmers prune and thin out bunches of grapes, leaving just few ones on the plants. We pick up bunches one by one, lay them down in little airy crates and carry them to the winery, a magical place where tradition embraces innovation. Once there, experienced hands select only the best grapes which every year are turned in high-quality wines, a true expression of a unique terroir.
After a long and accurate refurbishment work, Marra’s and Calabrese’s brought an old symbol of the Salento enology back to its original beauty. A 1800s wine building representing an important cornerstone of our architectural tradition where the breathtaking beauty of the starry vaults made of tuff stone ashlars and pietra leccese will leave you astounded.